Personal Post: Not @ SXSW

This week marks the one year anniversary of my trip to South by Southwest (SXSW). It had been planned to be a productive and fun event, mixing with local and regional social media and tech folks. Instead, it turned out to be a deeply personal, darkly callous occasion that set in motion the dismantling of what I had cared about and been most proud of in my life for the last 10 years. There was one event that was magical for me- The Read Write Web party and concert at Austin City Limits- but for the most part I found myself among festive people, yet feeling completely isolated and alone. I will always remember SXSW 2010 as the point in time that my marriage abruptly ended and I began a new journey as a single father.

As much as we can try to affect positive change in life by our actions, there are moments where life changes you through the acts of others. What comes after- what you lose and what you keep of yourself- is what remains of who you will be. In the last year I've struggled to define who I am in a now unfamiliar place. Through the caring of a few friends that have been there for me throughout all of this, I believe I'm starting to see myself again. Thank you.